Adhesive vinyl, video, hardboard tempered panels, and tape on walls floor and ceiling. 27' X 25' X 10', 2015
2015, Adhesive vinyl & wallpaper over floor, walls and ceiling. 25' x 40' x 11 feet/ 75 x 96.5 x 28 mts.
Adhesive vinyl & wallpaper over floor and walls, 36' x 25' x 16' Feet/ 11 x 7.6 x 5 mt. 2014
My recent work takes over architectural interiors, exploring the possibility of visual illusion and space transformation with the use of perspective. Aiming to addresses a nontraditional experience of space, I use mural painting, large scale drawing interventions and wallpapering as tools to create immersive environments that bring people closer to imagination and to the experience of unconventional sensations, enabling a disorienting encounter with reality.
Most of my installations depict imaginary landscapes inspired in the micro-level of computers and its relationship to urbanism. The way our cities are planned seem to correlate to the structure of a motherboard. Even if we go further into the microscope, we find the structures of neurons to be remarkably similar to that of cities. Are these resemblances related to the nature of interconnectivity? Why are these natural and artificial forms so similar? I don't think there is a difference between the two. Can we compare the micro-structure of computer integrated circuits to the mega-structure of the universe?"
Working with the paradox between traditional media and the digital image, in order to expose an analogy between the real and the virtual, I juxtapose elements; the vast vs. the minute, black and white against color or the curved lines of non-Euclidean perspective to a precise reticule of pixels.
The research that currently nourishes my practice digs into digital physics, astrophysics, information sciences, architecture, philosophy and the theory of complex networks. I finds in these studies evidence of the existence of patterns in phenomena of different essence, scale, and source, and proof that information lies at the core of everything we perceive. I attempts with my work to expand our conscience on these ideas.
The involvement of the community in my projects has increasingly taken importance and it can be described into two categories; on the one hand, the making of these large installations requires labor extensive efforts that I am achieving by finding interns and volunteers to work under my guidance, making of these production processes, a learning experience for a younger generation of artists. I aim to transcend my ideas of art as one of the three main branches of knowledge along with philosophy and science. On the other hand, my transformative spaces are set as a canvas for collaborations and interventions from innovators in different fields. By inviting people from the disciplines of astrophysics, sound design, interactive technologies, performance art and music to take part on my work, I activate the installations opening the possibilities for collective interaction to happen.
I sees the future of these endeavors gaining a broader scale in terms of production, collaboration and trans-disciplinarity, seeking a holistic artistic expression that speaks of the theory of everything, where all forms of knowledge convey, creating a platform for intense sensibility, where awe, beauty and a celebration of life take place.
2014 - As Above, So Below. Ac Institute. New York. NY
2013 - Panoptic and Panoramas. Juan Salas Gallery. Bogota, Colombia
2009 - Dirty Worthless Money. Casas Riegner Gallery, Bogota Colombia
2008 - Virtual Windows. Museum of Modern Art, Bucaramanga, Colombia
- The Architecture of Hypertext. Universidad de los Andes. Project Space. Bogota, Colombia
2007 - ASCII Paintings and Other Attempts. Salamanca University. Bogota, Colombia
2006 - he Papers of the Law. Casas Riegner Gallery, Bogota, Colombia
Cooper Union 2012
Hemisferical Immersion 2013
Limitless Alignment 2015
Deep Inside the Machine 2008
2014 - Hemispherical Immersion II. 516 ARTS. Albuquerque, NM. USA
- Diorama. Commissioned by BRIC Arts Media House. Brooklyn, NY. USA
2013 - Hemispherical Immersion. Juan Salas Gallery. Bogotá, Colombia
2012 - Enter the Wall. Public Art Installation. Bogotá, Colombia
- The Self of the Building. The Cooper Union New York, NY. USA
2010 - Building Codes. Commissioned by Brooklyn Arts Council, New York, NY. USA
2009 - Info-Trek. One Brooklyn Bridge Park Building. BOFFO. Brooklyn, NY. USA
2007 - Urbania. Public Art Intervention. IV Biennial SIART. La Paz, Bolivia.
2014 - Vancouver Biennale Resident Artist. Vancouver, Canada
- World Technology Network Award Nominee
2013 - "OPEN PAINTING" Laboratories Award. Bank of the Republic of Colombia and FGGA Foundation.
2012 - BRIC Media Arts fellowship
- Artist-Summer Residency, Cooper Union. New York, NY. USA
2010 - City Walls -Brooklyn Arts Council. New York, NY. USA
2009 - BOFFO-Artist in Residence. Brooklyn, NY. USA
2007 - Honorable Mention. V International Arte Biennial SIART La Paz, Bolivia
2006 - Honorable Mention. I Drawing Biennial of the Americas. Mexico
- Meritor Thesis. Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Bogotá, Colombia
2015 - Getting to Infinity. Seton Hall University's Walsh Gallery. NJ, USA
2014 - Digital Latin America. Albuquerque, NM, USA
- Blank Canvas Benefit. Visual Arts Center of New Jersey. USA
2013 - Converging Cultures. Martin Rutherford Galleries. University of Mary Washington. VA, USA
- Form and Substance - Gowanus Ballroom. Brooklyn, NY. USA
- Blank Canvas Benefit. Visual Arts Center of New Jersey.
2012 - Nuevos Espacios Pictoricos, Bucaramanga, Clombia
- SAW. Public art project Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
2011 - Slideluck Potshow -Bushwick Emerging Artists. Ward 3, Brooklyn, NY. USA
- Bushwick Open Studios. Troutman Studios Building. # 256, Brooklyn, NY. USA
- Up Close and Personal. Vandalog and M.A.N.Y. New York, NY. USA
2010 - SMALL WORKS, In Rivers Gallery, Greenpoint , NY. USA
- 200 Years of Art in Colombia. Museum of Modern Art. Bogota, Colombia.
- City Walls. Large-scale mural in Duffield and Fulton. Brooklyn Arts Council. Brooklyn, NY. USA
- Bushwick Open Studios. Troutman Studios Building. # 256, Brooklyn, NY. USA
- iEmotions. Abaca. Apexart. New York, NY. USA
- Design on Dime, Housing Works Benefit. Metropolitan Pavilion, New York, NY. USA
- G40. The Summit. Art Whino Gallery, Washington D.C. USA
2009 - Double Scoop Cityscape. Long View Gallery, Washington DC. USA
- OBJECTIVE AFFECTION, BOFFO, Large Scale Mural at One Brooklyn Bridge Park. Brooklyn, NY. USA
- Yo Veo. International Video festival, The Suffolk Space, New York, NY. USA
- Urban Development. Curated by Joe Fig. LES Printshop, New York, NY. USA
2008 - Four Latin American Painters, Praxis International Gallery, Miami, FL. USA
- Characters. Camara de Comercio de Bogota. Sede Salitre, Bogotá, Colombia
- ArtBodegon. Independent Artists Space, El Bodegón, Bogotá, Colombia
- Cuestión de Corazón. El Museo Gallery, Bogotá, Colombia
2007 - V International Art Biennial SIART 2007. La Paz, Bolivia.
- ARTBO 2007. Bogota International Art Fair. Artecámara Pavillion. Corferias, Arte Joven, Mundo Gallery, Bogotá
- Por Pintar Cu4rto Nivel Foundation. Bogotá, Colombia
- Columnas UN, From the colective project; Art, City, University and Culture
- Solidarte, El Museo Gallery, Bogotá, Colombia
2006 - International Drawing Biennial of the Americas. La Galería de la Ciudad, México
- ARTBO 2006, Bogota International Art Fair, Casas Riegner Gallery booth
- CINCO ARTISTAS / FIVE ARTISTS Casas Riegner Gallery. Bogotá, Colombia
2005 - 104 Art Suites In – situ artwork in the lobby space. Bogotá, Colombia
- XII Latinamerican Video Festival 2005, Electronic arts show. Experimenta Colombia. Rosario, Argentina
2004 - Young Colombian Artists Foundation. Bogotá, Colombia
- XXXI Cano Salon Art Museum, National University of Colombia. Bogotá, Colombia
- Citiexposiciones 2004 Young Colombian Artists Foundation. Bogotá, Colombia
2008 - ASCII Paintings, The image and the letter of Jessica Angel. Jaime Vargas Editorial, Bogota. 64 pages.
- Cu4rto Nivel Contemporary Art. 2004 – 2007 Catalogue Page 281. Bogotá
2007 - Arte Joven. Mundo Magazine, edition # 27 October, Bogotá
- Cuidad Viva Journal, number 36, 2007, pg. M-V, Bogotá
- El Nuevo Siglo, Journal October
- Rilttaura Literaria. Edition # 3. UN Editorial. Cover
2006 - The Hidden Aesthetics of Beurocracy
- El Tiempo, March, Friday 17th, Bogotá
- The Papers of the Law. Diners magazine, edition # 432, March
- Rilttaura Literaria. Edition # 2. UN Editorial. Cover.